The Spanish heatwave has verified across the Iberian peninsula this weekend, as a large omega blocking pattern has established and is resulting in a significant warm advection into southwestern Europe. Many weather stations reported mid 30s peak afternoon temperatures yesterday, Sunday, May 3rd. It was 33-35 °C in parts of Portugal and up to +36 °C in Cordoba and Sevilla regions, southern Spain! Another very hot day is today and possibly also tomorrow!
This past weekend, a classic omega blocking ridge pattern developed over western and southern Europe. A deep and large upper low is located over the Azores, while high-pressure system strengthening over the Iberian peninsula, France, and further north UK/Ireland. This has then resulted in very warm and stable weather across the western half of Europe.
Here are the peak temperatures across Spain and Portugal yesterday, May 3rd:
Tabular data by the Spanish meteorological AEMET agency:
- +36.5 °C – Las Cabezas de San Juan (Sevilla)
- +36.0 °C – Córdoba Aeropuerto (Córdoba)
- +35.9 °C – Almonte (Huelva)
- +35.8 °C – Tomares, Zaudín (Sevilla)
- +35.7 °C – Sevilla Aeropuerto (Sevilla)
- +35.5 °C – Fuentes de Andalucía (Sevilla)
- +35.4 °C – Morón de la Frontera (Sevilla)
- +35.2 °C – Andújar (Jaén)
- +35.2 °C – Carmona (Sevilla)
- +35.0 °C – Granada Aeropuerto (Granada)
Tabular data by the Portugese meteorological IPMA agency:
- +34.9 °C – Alcácer do Sal, Barrosinha
- +34.3 °C – Zambujeira
- +34.6 °C – Almada, P.Rainha
- +34.6 °C – Barreiro, Lavradio
- +34.0 °C – Odemira, S.Teotónio
- +33.8 °C – Alvalade
- +33.5 °C – Alvega
Also southern France has experienced very warm day, though not extreme:
There are three more days with very hot weather ahead – today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Then, this first heat wave of 2020 diminishes while the ridge moves east into the Mediterranean.
With the changes in the pattern in the coming days, it could also deliver higher threat for severe storms into parts of western and central Europe later this week – we will keep you updated soon!
See the primary discussion and forecast for this Spanish heatwave:
Heatwave with up to +35 °C in Spain next week – the first of 2020!